good genres

bemis

Low rep power
i am too picky and easily annoyed to force myself to listen to other people's music regularly, but if you're interested i can send you my rym handle and you can look through everything i have listened to etc.
idk what rym is but I'll check it out. I can always use some new stuff to listen to.

mochi

High rep power
i tend to have a much higher chance of something being good with
-funeral doom
-noise rawk
-dream pop/ambient pop
-jungle
-techstep
-slam
-black metal
-post-ponk
-minimal wave
-techno (not ambient techno)
-breakcore
-speedcore
-gabber
-happy hardcore
-shoegaze
-ethereal wave
-art pop (MUST BE JAPANESE PLEASE UNDERSTAND)
-ambient
-j-rock
-liturgical music (don't actually know what makes it different than other early classical, but every recording i've heard is sick)
-psych folk (the more modern kind, not the boring hippy 60s kind)

there's some genres i don't care about much on their own, but combined with another thing they're usually pretty great. like synthpop + post-punk/minimal wave/darkwave/whatever other one of those genres, and trip hop + dream/ambient pop, drone metal + sludge/doom, jangle pop + post-punk, psych + post-punk, but can't think of enough to add another section to the list. tried to think of more things that aren't either rave or Rawkin' also but couldn't. oh well!

also i tend to avoid anything released in the past 5 or 10 years that's internet-y looking otherwise shoegaze and breakcore wouldn't be here

mochi

High rep power
P.S. i think grunge is far more buttrock than post-grunge, pearl jam is some of the worst garbage known to man outside of even flow and soundgarden have ONE song that isn't buttrock and it's the only one anybody cares about

also what do you mean sound art is one of the best genres, that's not even defined by sound, sound art is audio made to be part of an art piece or exhibition. that's the ultra-dork equivalent of "my favorite genre is game soundtracks". you should be ashamed. you should be aflamed. set yourslef on fire.

DonDon Patch

Staff member
High rep power
also what do you mean sound art is one of the best genres, that's not even defined by sound, sound art is audio made to be part of an art piece or exhibition. that's the ultra-dork equivalent of "my favorite genre is game soundtracks". you should be ashamed. you should be aflamed. set yourslef on fire.
wat. sound art is things like sound installations and sounds produced by self-playing setups of physical objects. just because what it actually sounds like is highly variable doesnt mean i can't think it's generally a good/interesting type of music to explore :confused:

mochi

High rep power
none of that is funnier than "my favorite genre is art soundtracks" so i'm going to ignore it