cool tech general

JamesMatadobra

Low rep power
If anybody is reading this and wants to get into IT, I would say DO NOT major in Cybersecurity, DO COMPUTER SCIENCE instead.

I graduated in December with a B.S. in Cybersecurity and have CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, CySA+, Pentest+, Project+, Axelos ITIL Foundations, ISC2 SSCP, CCSP, and am working on the Cisco CCNA right now.

I CAN NOT FIND A FRICKIN JOB. Not even a help desk job. I have a spreadsheet I think its up to 480 applications I have made and have not gotten hired anywhere.

Do Computer Science. The math isn't as hard as people make it seem. Don't read reddit. Those people are retarded so of course they can't learn math. Don't let the math scare you like I did.

bemis

Low rep power
If anybody is reading this and wants to get into IT, I would say DO NOT major in Cybersecurity, DO COMPUTER SCIENCE instead.

I graduated in December with a B.S. in Cybersecurity and have CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, CySA+, Pentest+, Project+, Axelos ITIL Foundations, ISC2 SSCP, CCSP, and am working on the Cisco CCNA right now.

I CAN NOT FIND A FRICKIN JOB. Not even a help desk job. I have a spreadsheet I think its up to 480 applications I have made and have not gotten hired anywhere.

Do Computer Science. The math isn't as hard as people make it seem. Don't read reddit. Those people are retarded so of course they can't learn math. Don't let the math scare you like I did.
If you're looking for a red team job, those tend to be incredibly insular, with a lot of hoops to jump through given their nature. If you're looking for a blue team job you'll have an easier time finding one but you'll be reduced to being an auditor or somebody staring at a screen for a NOC. Have you tried reaching out to Universities? A lot of schools have "agreements" with our nation's spook apparatus and can land you a job with decent pay and great benefits.

nationalism_tv

Low rep power
As far as jobs go, where you live matters A LOT.

I wanted to move closer to my parents in Florida, but there were so few tech jobs over there and they pay way less than where I live now where getting a tech job is relatively easy
I'd love to live in a smaller/cheaper town somewhere but unfortunately all the high paying tech jobs are in like 5 cities that are all very expensive.

I agree that computer science would be the most useful degree to get, but if you are too old, just learn some things online build a portfolio and submit that with your resume. And be open to moving somewhere else if you live in a not so hot place like Nebraska or Iowa.

JamesMatadobra

Low rep power
If you're looking for a red team job, those tend to be incredibly insular, with a lot of hoops to jump through given their nature. If you're looking for a blue team job you'll have an easier time finding one but you'll be reduced to being an auditor or somebody staring at a screen for a NOC. Have you tried reaching out to Universities? A lot of schools have "agreements" with our nation's spook apparatus and can land you a job with decent pay and great benefits.
I am hoping I can get a NOC Analyst job after I get my CCNA, I am willing to work overnights and in person if that is what it takes to get hired. I have applied to tons of SOC Analyst jobs but nobody has given me an interview yet. I haven't applied to any pentesting jobs because I assumed I would need at minimum the OSCP and job experience.
Edit: also obviously I have applied to MSP jobs and help desk jobs. Gotten nothing so far. Maybe I should leave off my degree? Or leave off some of the certs on my resume when I apply to help desk? Idk what I am doing wrong. I had somebody review my resume and they said it was fine. I spelled HIPAA right and have no other issues etc.

The issue with fed jobs is I don't think I can get a security clearance, a small issue is I got a DUI 9 years ago. But the main issue is I have no references at all for them to interview. I have no friends. My one friend died, and my other friend I haven't seen or spoken to since 4 July 2018. I have been unemployed since 2020. I do not know how that would work. I heard that the FBI outsourced some of their background checks to another department in the fed government but they still do interviews with people you have associations with. I have no people. I live alone and do not speak to anyone in real life. They would probably find this odd and suspicious.

Last edited:

DonDonPatch

Staff member
High rep power
maybe they arent hiring you because your profile pic is weird asf. :halpert:

bemis

Low rep power
Unfortunately, and this is simply the case with the industry as a whole. Investors and shareholders are fully cognizant of the fact that their intellectual property is "overstated" in it's significance. The ordered end of private equity firms and other investors is to churn a profit, and it's much easier to restructure and bundle a few companies you've gutted and shelled out to India than it is to find the 20% of the company that is productive and "give them what they need" in terms of time-investment to right their own ship. I'm gradually taking on the opinion that the only people who will be able to succeed in the globalized arena of tech will be startups where everyone is hungry (In the sense they have drive). Google and Microsoft occasionally are forced to admit that their research initiatives have been defeated in benchmarks by some no-name startup operating out of a strip mall office lease. That could be me just completely coping though because I don't want to work for the man again, and I'd rather be my own boss at this point in life.

• Insightful
Reactions: PAS

JamesMatadobra

Low rep power
why is it so ugly
Its a sproto gremlin, I thought it looked kind of like a sneed's feed and seed guy so I bought it about a year ago. It sucked though because I was a holder of HarryPotterObamaSonic10Inu since May 14th 2023 and qualified to mint 10 of them but I was not paying attention to the telegram and missed it so I had to buy them out of my pocket. I used to have 4 of them but only have 2 now.

DonDonPatch

Staff member
High rep power
Its a sproto gremlin, I thought it looked kind of like a sneed's feed and seed guy so I bought it about a year ago. It sucked though because I was a holder of HarryPotterObamaSonic10Inu since May 14th 2023 and qualified to mint 10 of them but I was not paying attention to the telegram and missed it so I had to buy them out of my pocket. I used to have 4 of them but only have 2 now.
and you have 0 bitches :smug: