YOUR favorite book of the Bible. AND WHY!

lookingupnotdown

Low rep power
I am currently enjoying the book of Ecclesiastes. It is a recollection of King Solomon looking back on his life, and how everything he has done is meaningless in the face of time and death. Contains themes that every intelligent thoughtful man will have been feeling but unable to describe.

A sampling
1.1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
(I think this book may have inspired the writer of dune to make Paul Atreides, a desert "Preacher")

1.17 I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit. For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
(As we are all aware.)

2.15 Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity
(DEATH)

3.8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
(War can be good, Negative emotions are NOT EVIL, they have a place in the course of human history. Christian Virtue is about surpassing our natural human emotions, but emotions are one of the positive forces in life that cause hearts to be moved to action.)

3.18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are beasts.
(most men are little better than dogs humping and looking 4 next meal)

5.2 Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.
(God and holy things should always be approached with AWE, I prefer to not even talk about faith if it is not going to be serious.)

5.15 As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand.

7.16 Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself?
(You only cause pain for yourself when you strive to surpass the beastly nature of man. Obviously Christian saints do this, but if you read their lives (escp) medieval saints they live a life of extreme pain and depression with extreme joy gifted to them by God.)

9.4 A living dog is better than a dead lion. For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing.
(Distinctly non-aryan viewpoint. But also the view of the survivor, the old man, and the extremely intelligent man.)

Okay thats all.

Last edited:

$lave

Staff member
High rep power
Favorite is probably James or John. I love the way John is written. James is like the proverbs of the nt