Daily Programming Thread

DonDon Patch

Staff member
High rep power
one time i installed linux and after like 30 mins decided to switch back to windows 7 because it was uncomfortable and weird

bemis

Low rep power
Recent Developments on The Linux Desktop and Software Politics

Software development is political. Those who own software projects, control thousands if not millions of devices running that software. This is why software by Microsoft or Google is proprietary, if they want to add code to spy on you, restrict the use of your system or add backdoors for glowniggers, they could (and do).

Recently, I've noticed a pattern of developers getting fed up with leftists using CoC's (code of conduct) to dictate the development of software. The most recent example being the Hyprland drama. TLDR; Hyprland is a Wayland-based window manager maintained by "Vaxry". Vaxry was involved in the development of Wayland as well as his window manager. This was until "Lyude" aka Alex, a communist transgender board-member of Freedesktop, owned by Redhat (which maintains Wayland) banned Vaxry from contributing to Wayland or using their forums after digging up some offensive messages from his private Discord server from 2 years ago. In response, Vaxry forked Wayland and now maintains his own version.

Another example is the case of PolyMC, a Minecraft launcher where the project owner removed the CoC and purged leftists from the team.
View attachment 1770

Since Redhat sets the standards for the Linux desktop, this is a real problem that their employees are willing to sacrifice software quality for their own personal politics. We shouldn't need to worry that our contributions to open source software that everyone uses depends on the emotions of a mentally ill troon. This is something even normies can get behind.

I like to call these CoC resistant projects "chudware". And in the case of hyprland-wayland it contributes to an interesting dynamic where they're both technically allowed to steal code from each-other because they both use the MIT license. I hope more developers follow this same path.

RELEVANT LINKS:
a few years ago this happened with Node.js, and a bunch of peripheral maintainers decided to fork it into Ayo.js rather than continue to interact with one of Node's core developers. The only thing they changed between Node.js and Ayo.js was the code of conduct itself. No meaningful commits were made to Ayo.js that weren't simply merges from the master fork of Node into Ayo. During this time the maintainers of SQLite also came under attack, in particular because the primary maintainer (in jest) made the Lord's Prayer his code of conduct. The attacks against both faded as it became obvious that nobody cared, and that nobody who did care was actually worth their weight.

Probably the best argument against all this (that fell on deaf ears) came from a cohort of the SQLite maintainer. He put forth the point that in a teleological sense, the ultimate end of a software project is to... produce software. The telos of these people is to be a cancer subverting the telos of every other entity.

This faction of what I'll call "the usual faggots" don't have as much effect or reach as they think they have. This is probably a hiccup for Wayland in the long run, and I'd say a bigger threat to it's success is lazy oldheads like myself that just can't justify the effort of porting applications built around X11 to Wayland. Even that one faggot that pestered the Linux kernel developers over their code of conduct has been relegated to baiting trolls on social media for interaction, her (male) contributions haven't had anyt lasting impact.

I keep my eye on three factions. The first is the ongoing lawfare between Oracle, and Amazon. To this day Java (for all it's warts) is THE enterprise language. Control over the Java ecosystem is control over over 90% of the tech industry. Despite Amazon's thorough abuse of the Apache 2.0 license, there is still some chance they're waylaid by Oracle (I know that is hard for zoomers to imagine but Oracle is still extremely powerful). Microsoft is off doing it's own thing. It likes to watch, wait, observe mistakes, and create an offering that learns from those mistakes. They're happy to be second to market--playing the long game. Upsets in any of these factions will trickle down into the FOSS community and you will see technical and social initiatives carried out. A concrete example of this is Microsoft's prolonged effort to adopt and absorb Python. Take a look at Python's developer ecosystem and you'll find that the efforts behind Typing, and other improvements are being led by Microsoft. At the same time Python's BDFL was convinced to step down. This might have seen like cowtowing to faggots, but the faggots are merely useful idiots for Microsoft.

Last edited:

bemis

Low rep power
Vaxry and Lenny are kings. I'm glad there are people in the FOSS community that actually have a spine. Right now I use KDE Plasma, but Hyprland seems like a very well made compositor that I definitely intend on giving a try soon. I recommend reading the Kiwi Farms thread of Drew DeVault, the person who started the entire Hyprland drama. Remember, this entire thing was started because one of Vaxry's discord moderators changed some troon's pronouns to who/cares. That's how insane they are.
I wish I could whip Drew Devault with a belt, I hate that dude like you would not believe.

Andrew

Low rep power
a few years ago this happened with Node.js, and a bunch of peripheral maintainers decided to fork it into Ayo.js rather than continue to interact with one of Node's core developers. The only thing they changed between Node.js and Ayo.js was the code of conduct itself. No meaningful commits were made to Ayo.js that weren't simply merges from the master fork of Node into Ayo. During this time the maintainers of SQLite also came under attack, in particular because the primary maintainer (in jest) made the Lord's Prayer his code of conduct. The attacks against both faded as it became obvious that nobody cared, and that nobody who did care was actually worth their weight.
The SQLite "Code of Ethics" was based. I had no idea about the Node.js drama though.

bemis

Low rep power
The SQLite "Code of Ethics" was based. I had no idea about the Node.js drama though.
Some of the comments both in the ayo repository and node repositories from around that time are hilarious. I remember one guy accidentally stumbling into it "This guy hurt your feelings so you want to... fork node? That's really going to fuck up projects for a handful of people." This was the developer that was dabbing on all the trannies if you're interested: https://github.com/rvagg https://github.com/ayojs/ayo. He's got a blog where he actually gets pretty in depth on it from his perspective https://r.va.gg/2018/09/the-perils-of-private-politics-in-open-source.html

resu

Low rep power
Default vi. If I were writing anything more than shell scripts, I'd maybe learn vim/neovim, though.

Andrew

Low rep power
Which text editors do people prefer? Can't stand VS code anymore
Kate is great if you use KDE. I usually use whatever IDE is built for the language I'm working with. And I have a love-hate relationship with Emacs.